Hi,

 in Czech database conference we  talk about windows PostgreSQL port and
 windows  encodings  now. The current  code  expect  use win1250  as  FE
 encoding only. That's right for non-windows systems, but native windows
 knows  work with  this  encoding. The encodings  separation (FE|BE)  is
 defined in the include/mb/pg_wchar.h file and  I think we can change it
 a  little by  "#ifdef WIN32"  and define  windows encodings  as backend
 encodings for windows port.

 Pavel Stehule <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> already test win1250 as backend
 encoding for windows port and it works. There is more windows encodings
 like Big5 and Shift-JIS which are defined as FE only.

 I haven't windows  so I can't help  with this work, but  I think people
 who  work on  windows  port should  test and  fix  it, because  support
 windows encodigs in  native windows port is  well-founded idea. I think
 :-)

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>