Simon Riggs wrote:

First, thanks for sticking with it to test this.

I've not received such a message myself - this is interesting.

Is it possible to copy that directory to one side and re-run the test?
Add another parameter in postgresql.conf called "archive_debug = true"
Does it happen identically the second time?

Yes, identical results - I re-initdb'ed and ran the process again, rather than reuse the files.

What time difference was there between steps 5 and 6? I think I can here
Andreas saying "told you".... I'm thinking the backup might be somehow
corrupted because the checkpoint occurred during the backup. Hmmm...

I was wondering about this, so left a bit more time in between, and forced a sync as well for good measure.

5) $ psql -d test -c "checkpoint"; sleep 30;sync;sleep 30
6) $ tar -zcvf /data1/dump/pgdata-7.5.tar.gz *

Thanks, Simon Riggs

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match