Merlin Moncure wrote:
Merlin,

This will most likely never be accepted by the core team because it is
better to spend more time on fixing the planner than to invent some
non-standard.
As far as I know some databases support a syntax where hints can be
hidden in comments or something like that.
Meanwhile I think that hints are more of a burdon than a help.

        Regards,

Hans

I thought as much.  Still, the parameter problem is a huge headache.  Maybe if it was
possible to use the statistics to gather a 'pseudovariable' to feed to the parameter
based on some algorithm, the planner could give better results without exposing the
planner inner workings to the user.

Thanks for the feedback.
Merlin

Using statistics is exactly what the planner does ...
So why should data coming from the planner being given back to the planner? Doesn't make sense.

For more information I highly recommend Tom's talk at Oreilly's some time ago. I think it is called "recent improvements in 7.4" ...

        regards,

                Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])