Thomas Hallgren wrote:
"Oliver Jowett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NIO is not present before JDK 1.4. The JDBC driver, at least, needs to
support earlier JVMs.

Clients only capable of network order (such as a Java 1.3 based JDBC driver) must of course be supported still. No argument there. My objection was to your general statement that "Java has no idea what the native byte order is".

I suppose so. I'd point out that the NIO byteorder info is really just an optimization hint -- the rest of the NIO API is byteorder agnostic, regardless of what the native byteorder is.

The problem with using native byte orderings is not the byte ordering
itself, but that the order is unpredictable -- at best, you have to
implement code to handle both orders, and at worst you have to just take
a guess and hope you were right..

Sure, but those problems are present regardless of implementation language.

That was my real argument..

-O