Tom Lane wrote:
Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Tom, you didn't like Andreas' idea of allowing the user to rotate the
log files on demand.

Give me a use case that requires that, and is sufficiently interesting
to justify even a marginal decrease in the reliability of the log
process.

- Debugging some stuff, a distinct period of work, I'd like to start with a fresh serverlog.
- When doing a backup, I'd like to continue with a fresh serverlog so I can see what was happening since that point in time.

MSSQL calls this sp_cycle_errorlog.

I can't see even a marginal decrease of reliability, since the logger already accepts SIGHUP, and will reevaluate postgresql.conf to set the rotation_requested flag accordingly; I'm just asking for setting the flag directly.

Regards, Andreas