Tom Lane wrote:
Joe Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
select '{{},{}}'::text[];
ERROR:  malformed array literal: "{{},{}}"

Hm. This seems like it would be a legitimate representation of a 2x0 array. Why would you allow '{}' and reject this?

I just reread your comment and thought about it more. I think most of what I said in the last post holds, but in addition part of the problem lies in the fact that we don't implement multidimensional arrays as nested arrays, but rather as one monolithic structure. If we did the former, then 2x0 would be feasible.

Investigating, and possibly implementing, multidimensional arrays as a nested structure is another item on my wish list. I'm still not entirely sure how difficult or desirable it is, but my interpretation of SQL99 is that nested arrays is the requirement.

Joe

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend