Just out of interest, what happens to the difference if you use *ext3* (perhaps with data=writeback)

regards

Mark
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I did a little test on the various options of fsync.
create table testndx (value integer, name varchar);
create index testndx_val on testndx (value);

for(int i=0; i < 1000000; i++)
{
 printf_query( "insert into testndx (value, name) values ('%d', 'test')",
random());

  // report here
}

Anyway, with fsync enabled using standard fsync(), I get roughly 300-400 inserts per second. With fsync disabled, I get about 7000 inserts per second. When I re-enable fsync but use the open_sync option, I can get about 2500 inserts per second.

(This is on Linux 2.4 kernel, ext2 file system)

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster