Tom Lane wrote:

Why not?

The real answer is "it's historical and I didn't see any need to
change it". But one could argue that a function returning NULL
doesn't know it's supposed to be a trigger.

The reason I ask is that this behavior just bit me in PL/Java. Triggers returning null didn't work. I've fixed it at my end by simply forcing the isnull to false for triggers. I just wanted to know if there was some deeper thought behind this that could result in side effects.

Perhaps you should either change this behavior or make a note it in "Writing Trigger Functions in C"? Even if the documented example use a local isnull, it's not evident that you have to do that.

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren