Bruce Momjian wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:

Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Agreed, but from a clarity perspective, are we better moving to the CIDR
format for hostnames in pg_hba.conf anyway?

Possibly --- it'd be easier to sell on that argument anyway ;-)

s/hostnames/netmasks/

+1 vote. They are whole lot easier to understand anyway. We already did it for the IPv6 addr, and you thought it so nice you put it in the release notes :-)

Also, I think we would accept a patch that modified pg_hba.conf for
Solaris only that made this change.

That seems like the worst of all possible worlds. Difficult to do *and*
confusing for users, since on Solaris the sample file would no longer
match the documentation.

True, but at least it would work. Are they saying the masks don't work at all? Why haven't we heard this before?

I thought the report was that *only* 255.255.255.255 failed. The question is why? And would changing the hints passed to getaddrinfo_all improve matters (e.g. by filling in the ai_family with the value from the addr structure we already have)?

cheers

andrew