It's deprecated because it's insecure, on platforms where other users can
see the environment variables passed to pg_dump (which apparently is
quite a few variants of Unix).  You wouldn't pass the password on the
command line either ...

Painful as .pgpass may be for an admin tool, I do not know of any other
method I'd recommend on a multiuser machine.

OK, but say you have a phpPgAdmin installation that's servicing 20 users. Then you have to put a .pgpass file in the www home dir (if there is one) with the usernames and passwords of all those users - pretty damn annoying...

Chris

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?