Gavin Sherry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> As for extending the length of xl_len, what happens if someone now has
> 2^30 subtransaction IDs (as unlikely as that sounds)?

They'll have run out of RAM to store the subxact-related storage before
that (not to mention most likely have exhausted the CommandCounter
range, not to mention exhausted their patience --- it takes a good while
even to exercise the 2^16-subxact case).  I'm satisfied if we can
approach that limit.  Exceeding it will be a task for some other release.

               http://archives.postgresql.org