>> 1. Do we want to use quote_ident on object names? Ideally, column
>> names with a space in them, for example, should be surrounded by
>> double quotes.

> Example of it failing?  You mean like \d tablename?

Yes: CREATE TABLE "Upper Division" (
  abc              int,
  " spaced out  "  text,
  " real ""Name""" text,
  "MixedCase"      text
);

psql=> \d U*

Did not find any relation named "U*".
(hmm...)

psql=> \d "Upper Division"

Table "public.Upper Division"
    Column     |  Type   | Modifiers
---------------+---------+-----------
 abc           | integer |
  spaced out   | text    |
  real "Name"  | text    |
 MixedCase     | text    |

This should be:

Table "public.Upper Division"
      Column      |  Type   | Modifiers
------------------+---------+-----------
 abc              | integer |
 " spaced out  "  | text    |
 " real ""Name""" | text    |
 "MixedCase"      | text    |

>> \d [NAME]      describe table, index, sequence, or view

> The issue is that while \d doesn't list indexes, \d indexname works.
> Any idea how to clarify that?

By showing indexes when you do a \d? By clearly stating that \d without
args only shows 3 of the 4 items? I'm not sure.

>> a new function and do a \df, I have to wade through all the
>> system functions in the pg_catalog schema before seeing mine.

> Well, at least they are together at the bottom.

Over 1,500 rows later! :) With a pager, that's a real pain.

--
Greg Sabino Mullane [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200408290833