Greg Stark wrote:

I expect to see substantial resistance to incorporating such a feature. One
argument will be that he should simply use a separate system for such data.
For example, memcached would be much faster and more scalable than
communicating via postgres.

Postgres should do what postgres is good at IMNSHO. Small is beautiful.

The only disadvantage to using something like memcached would be that you
couldn't transparently use values from there inside your queries. You would
have to fetch them and then pass them as parameters to postgres.

Could you not overcome that using server-side functions, in, say, C or plperlu? In fact I suspect you could implement this whole scheme using memcached (which looks quite cool and exactly made for this) plus a very small amount of plperlu glue.

cheers

andrew