On Sep 18, 2004, at 1:09 PM, Oliver Jowett wrote:

Well, obviously. I haven't modified the backend code to accept 'unknown' in PREPARE..

Right, and that's what we're looking for.

My point was the client does *not* need to know the type inferred by the PREPARE in the 'unknown' case to make use of the resulting statement. It can pass all parameters as text and use the type inference that happens on EXECUTE -- as is happening in the EXECUTE quoted above.

Yes, that's fine, but it's PREPARE that's at issue here, not EXECUTE.

Regards,

David

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?