On 9/20/2004 2:02 AM, Michael Paesold wrote:

The bgwriter always flushes the oldest dirty buffers, and every buffer
touched (hit or faulted in). The output above doesn't tell you how many
buffers are really dirty. But if the system is under load, that is
pretty much the same as the distance between those numbers.

Hmmm, I meant to say that the touched buffers are always put at the other end of the queue. Jetlag must have swallowed that.

That would be nice, since analysing ARC/bgwriter using the logs would be much easier, if it really wrote those in constant intervals independent of backend activity.

> bgwriter_delay = 50     (now default 200)
> bgwriter_percent = 2    (now default 1)
> bgwriter_maxpages = 200 (now default 100)

Just what I was having the best TPC-C results with.

And how were the default values in chosen? Educated guesses?

I am not 100% sure how those came to pass. But certainly not under the assumption that the default PG install is for a busy server with a medium to high update rate.

Jan