Hello, recently I've been trying to write a plperlu function like this:
CREATE FUNCTION foo RETURNS bytea AS '
   use Storable qw(freeze thaw);
   my @a = (1,2,3,4,5);
   return freeze ([EMAIL PROTECTED]);
' LANGUAGE plperlu;

In other words, serialize some data (maybe some rows, would be a great
aggregate function :)) and store it in some table.

And I also wrote similar function which thaws the data from bytea argument.

PostgreSQL however seems to be doing two things:
1) when returning any data from function (including bytea return
type), it copies it up to first '\0' character.  Looking at the
plperl.c sources, solution would be changing lines like this:
   result = FunctionCall3(&prodesc->result_in_func,
                        PointerGetDatum(SvPV(*svp, PL_na)),
                        ObjectIdGetDatum(prodesc->result_typioparam),
                        Int32GetDatum(-1));
into something like this:
   size_t ret_length; /* size_t? */
   (...)
   result = FunctionCall3(&prodesc->result_in_func,
                        PointerGetDatum(SvPV(*svp, ret_length)),
                        ObjectIdGetDatum(prodesc->result_typioparam),
                        Int32GetDatum(-1));

In other words, use the fact that SvPV's second argument is used to
pass string length ... but I don't know where to pass the returned
length.  I don't suppose (-1) is the right place...

2) When function receives bytea as an argument it converts it into
\NNN-escaped string.  I think it would be more natural to pass
unescaped string to a perl function.

Ah, and while we are at it -- I think it could be nice to embed
Storable module (functions freeze, nfreeze and thaw) into plperl --
ability to pass "raw serialized" perl data between functions, and
store it in tables could be quite useful.

   Regards,
        Dawid