Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

I tried that yesterday out of curiosity. It had problems with 3 files which I removed manually:

/pgsql/src/interfaces/perl5/Attic/ApachePg.pl,v
/pgsql/src/interfaces/perl5/Attic/test.pl.newstyle,v
/pgsql/src/interfaces/perl5/Attic/test.pl.oldstyle.pl,v

Otherwise, no problems.

Interestingly, the subversion repository is 585MB, and the CVS repository is only 260MB, so apparently Subversion is not very good at compressing the repository. Not that it matters, though.

FWIW, I think Peter's idea of offering Subversion as an alternative in pgfoundry is very good.

Mmm, do you mean createing periodically "snapshot"? Yes this could be a good idea.

I also agree with Andrew's observation that it's really up to the committers since they are the ones that have to work with whatever system we have.

That's true, but is really sad see Tom Lane think twice to move a file or not because CVS.

I like subversion very much, but one thing that troubles me a bit is the number of extra libraries required to compile and run it. Also, is there pre-compiled binaries for all the platforms that PostgreSQL supports?

I don't know about the server, but for sure what is more important here is the client side and now that the win environment matter more then before, I have to say that TortoiseSVN ( tortoisesvn.tigris.org ) is much better then WinCVS.

Regards Gaetano Mendola

     joining column's datatypes do not match