Patrick B Kelly wrote:

On Nov 10, 2004, at 6:10 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

The last really isn't an option, because the whole point of CSVs is to play with other programs, and my understanding is that those that understand multiline fields (e.g. Excel) expect them not to be escaped, and do not produce them escaped.

Actually, when I try to export a sheet with multi-line cells from excel, it tells me that this feature is incompatible with the CSV format and will not include them in the CSV file.

It probably depends on the version. I have just tested with Excel 2000 on a WinXP machine and it both read and wrote these files.

cheers

andrew

http://archives.postgresql.org