Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

It seems that in the new PL/Perl, the result of the spi_exec_query function changes in meaning depending on the command. For a SELECT, the value of

$res->{rows}

is a reference to an array of the result rows.

For a different command

$res->{rows}

is a scalar containing the number of affected rows. I think this is a poor design. Couldn't we have a different result field that always contains the number of rows?

I don't recall seeing any reply to this, but I'm inclined to agree with it.

Joshua, any comment from CP?

I would agree that seems a little odd ;). Would this be something we want done for 8.0?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

cheers

andrew

-- Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting. +1-503-667-4564 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua Drake
n:Drake;Joshua
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215 ;Cascade Locks;OR;97014;US
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334