Tom Lane wrote:
My inclination is to get rid of the dependency of the Makefile.shlib
targets on pg_config_paths.h; Bruce has never satisfactorily explained
why he added that.  There may be a need for a dependency on
pg_config_paths.h someplace, but surely this is the wrong place.

I don't understand what $(PTHREAD_H_WIN32) is doing there either --- the
only definition of it that I can see is
        PTHREAD_H_WIN32 = yes
in libpq/Makefile, which does not look like a build target.  (The
comment just above that saying "this doesn't work yet" doesn't increase
my faith any...)

Indeed, backing out Bruce's commit
( http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2004-10/msg00158.php )
makes my problems go away. I have no idea how to fix the win32 stuff though :(

Joe