Thomas Hallgren wrote:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Am Sonntag, 28. November 2004 12:33 schrieb Thomas Hallgren:

Hmm, ok. But there's no way to stream them in and out from disk. From
what I can see, you have to bring all of it into memory. Not so ideal
perhaps if you want to provide streaming media for thousands of users.

You can use the substring function to read the pieces you need.

Won't the substring function bring the whole thing into memory in the backend before it pass you the piece you need? Let's assume I want to stream 4k at a time of a 40mb image, that's a whole lot of byte swapping if that's the case.

Not if the column is storage type EXTERNAL. See a past discussion here: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-07/msg01447.php

How do you handle writes without first creating the whole image in memory?

You can't currently, but it would be a nice addition ;-)

I agree with Peter -- I think effort is better spent improving bytea.

BTW, someone on GENERAL just started a very similar thread ("implementing a lo_truncate operation, and possibly a lo_size"). I've cc'd him here.

Joe