Bruce Momjian wrote:

Also, can you explain why we can't read across a newline to the next quote? Is it a problem with the way our code is structured or is it a logical problem? Someone mentioned multibyte encodings but I don't understand how that applies here.

In a CSV file, each line is a record. Reading across a newline for the next quote (assuming the next field is quoted) would mean stealing fields from the next record.

I did see one complaint about missing or extra fields at the end of a record - I think it is reasonable for us to expect the data to be rectangular, and not ragged.

(I hope this answers your question - I am not 100% certain I understaood it).

cheers

andrew