Tom Lane wrote:

"Andrew Dunstan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I've raised this before, but would like to suggest again that there might be
virtue in branching earlier in the dev cycle - maybe around the time of the
first beta.

Given the amount of patching that's gone on, branching 8.1 earlier would have meant a great deal more work for the committers, in the form of double-patching stuff. And I don't know about the other committers, but I've certainly had no spare bandwidth for reviewing or applying 8.1-cycle patches anyway. So I think we made the right move to delay the branch.

Core hasn't really talked about the point yet, but I suspect we'll make
the branch after 8.0RC1 appears (which hopefully will be Real Soon).

I do understand. Really. It just would be nice not to have development work queued for months every release cycle. But limited resources as always ...

cheers

andrew