"Joshua D. Drake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> 1. Buildfarm doesn't yet have that many platforms on it.

It's not as bad as all that.  Our current list of supported platforms
(ie, things that got tested last time) is

        AIX
        Free/Open/NetBSD        covered by buildfarm
        HPUX                    used daily by moi
        IRIX
        Linux                   covered by buildfarm
        OS X                    tested pretty often by moi
        Solaris                 covered by buildfarm
        Tru64
        UnixWare
        Windows/Cygwin          covered by buildfarm

With respect to hardware it's

        x86                     covered by buildfarm
        ia64
        x86_64                  covered by buildfarm
        ARM
        Alpha
        MIPS                    covered by buildfarm
        m68k
        PA-RISC                 used daily by moi
        PPC                     tested pretty often by moi
        RS6000                  isn't this same as PPC?
        S/390
        Sparc                   covered by buildfarm

Considering that we have both 32- and 64-bit, little- and big-endian
hardware in there, most of the basic hardware gotchas are covered;
the only thing I think is at much risk is the spinlock assembler code,
which we change seldom.

Where the buildfarm falls down a bit is on the cross-product coverage.
But I think you're not going to get the cross product without a call for
port reports; there aren't that many people who are going to offer
dedicated time on every random platform there is.

It would be nice to get an Alpha into the buildfarm, and PPC too.