Bruce Momjian wrote:

well, I usually get results that differ by that much from run to run.
Probably you ran in to more checkpoints on the second test.

Also, did you reinitialize the bench database with pgbench -i ?

I destroyed the database and recreated it.

The only way I managed to control the variability in Pgbench was to *reboot the machine* and recreate the database for each test. In addition it seems that using a larger scale factor (e.g 200) helped as well.

Having said that, on FreeBSD 5.3 with hw.ata.wc=0 (i.e no write cache) my results for s=200, t=10000 and c=4 were 49 (+/- 0.5) tps for both 7.4.6 and 8.0.0RC1 - no measurable difference. If I reduced the number of transactions to t=1000, then 7.4.6 jumped ahead by about 10 tps.

Bruce - are you able to try s=200? It would be interesting to see what your setup does.

regards

Mark