Simon Riggs wrote:

Jonah,

People's objections are:
- this shouldn't be the system default, so would need to be implemented
as a non-default option on a b-tree index
- its a lot of code and if you want it, you gotta do it

Remember you'll need to
- agree all changes via the list and accept that redesigns may be
required, even at a late stage of coding
- write visibility code into the index
- write an additional node type to handle the new capability
- microarchitecture performance testing so you know whether its really
worthwhile, covering a range of cases
- add code to the optimiser to so it can estimate the cost of using this
and to know when to do this
- add a column to the catalog to record whether an index has the
visibility option
- add code to the parser to invoke the option
- update pg_dump so that it correctly dumps tables with that option
- copy and adapt all of the existing tests for the new mechanism
- document it

If you really want to do all of that, I'm sure you'd get help, but
mostly it will be you that has to drive the change through.

There are some other benefits of that implementation:
You'd be able to vacuum the index (only), allowing index access to
remain reasonably constant, even as the table itself grew from dead
rows.

The index could then make sensible the reasonably common practice of
using a covered index - i.e. putting additional columns into the index
to satisfy the whole query just from the index.

Simon,

I am willing to take it on and I understand that the workload is mine. As long as everyone gives me some suggestions, I'm good it being optional.

-Jonah