Kris Jurka wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Brendan Jurd wrote:

> SELECT time_span( 'minute', now(), interval '10:43:55' );
643

The timestamp argument to this version of the function seems completely irrelevent.

Kris Jurka

I don't think so. As I pointed out in the OP, to make this function work properly you need to define a startpoint and an endpoint. The version of the function which accepts (text, timestamp, interval) arguments is really just using another notation to achieve the same thing - startpoint and endpoint.

The timestamp argument is only irrelevant if you're willing to assume now() is going to be the startpoint, which is not a fair assumption IMO. I would rather give the caller the freedom of defining the startpoint himself, in either notation.

Of course, it would be possible to create a shorthand version of the function which expects (text, interval), and passes directly to time_span($1, now(), $2).

Does that resolve your concern?  If not please explain it more fully.

BJ