    Tom> People who hang around Postgres too long tend to think that
    Tom> MVCC is the obviously correct way to do things, but much of
    Tom> the rest of the world thinks differently ;-)

It works the other way too ... people who come from the locking world
find it difficult to wrap their heads around MVCC. A big part of this
is because Gray's original paper on transaction isolation defines the
different levels based on what kind of lock acquisitions they involve.

A very nice alternative approach to defining transaction isolation is
"Generalized isolation level definitions" by Adya, Liskov and O'Neill
that appears in ICDE 2000.

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh