Tom Lane wrote:

I don't know why the command 'mkdir' doesn't exhibit the
same problem as the function 'mkdir', but running:

mkdir /software/postgresql-8.0.0

produces the correct error "File exists" on my system.

Could you truss that and see what it does? It would be a simple change in initdb to make it stat before mkdir instead of after, but I'm not totally convinced that would fix the problem. If mkdir returns a funny error code then stat might as well ...

There's also a tiny race condition, which I guess isn't worth worrying about.

Returning ENOSYS is pretty bogus ...

cheers

andrew

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq