On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Robert Treat wrote:

On Thursday 27 January 2005 20:47, Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Treat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
On Thursday 27 January 2005 10:27, Tom Lane wrote:
Ordinarily I would agree with you, but what happens to someone who is
still running 8.0.* when IBM's patent gets issued?

This is a straw-man, since nothing stops people from running 8.0.0 even if the replacement come in 8.0.1

I don't think so. It's not our responsibility if someone doesn't take advantage of an available update. But it is our responsibility if no update is available.

The straw-man is that this needs to happen in 8.0.x rather than 8.1, IMHO.

the 8.0.x branch is already released software, and is no longer being developed, prior to any patent happening ... the ARC changes will by no means be a "bug fix", nor minor, and aren't appropriate for back patching to any of the releases, including 8.0.x ...

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664