Steve Atkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> The cidr type, including it's external interface, is simply broken.

That is a large claim that I don't think you have demonstrated.
The only one of your examples that seems to me to contradict the
documentation is this one:

 steve=# select '224.0.0.0'::cidr;
      cidr
  -------------
   224.0.0.0/4

which should be /32 according to what the docs say:

: If y is omitted, it is calculated using assumptions from the older
: classful network numbering system, except that it will be at least large
: enough to include all of the octets written in the input.

The bogus netmask is in turn responsible for this case:

  steve=# select '224.10.0.0'::cidr;
  ERROR:  invalid cidr value: "224.10.0.0"
  DETAIL:  Value has bits set to right of mask.

Looking at the source code, there seems to be a special case for "class D"
network numbers that causes the code not to extend y to cover the
supplied inputs:

    /* If no CIDR spec was given, infer width from net class. */
    if (bits == -1)
    {
        if (*odst >= 240)        /* Class E */
            bits = 32;
        else if (*odst >= 224)    /* Class D */
            bits = 4;
        else if (*odst >= 192)    /* Class C */
            bits = 24;
        else if (*odst >= 128)    /* Class B */
            bits = 16;
        else                      /* Class A */
            bits = 8;
        /* If imputed mask is narrower than specified octets, widen. */
        if (bits >= 8 && bits < ((dst - odst) * 8))
            ^^^^^^^^^
            bits = (dst - odst) * 8;
    }

I think the test for "bits >= 8" should be removed.  Does anyone know
why it's there?

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq