Rafael Martinez Guerrero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> If we install the binaries for postgres under /local/opt/postgresql/bin,
> initdb in this directory will be a symblink to
> "/local/store/bbking/.postgresql/ver-8.0.1/opt/postgresql/bin/[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]
> uxlibc63=20
> and=20

> /local/opt/postgresql/bin/postgres will we a symblink to
> /local/store/bbking/.postgresql/ver-8.0.1/opt/postgresql/bin/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> nuxlibc63.

This naming convention is broken.  Fix it by putting the platform info
into the path instead, perhaps

/local/store/bbking/.postgresql/ver-8.0.1/opt/postgresql/386linuxlibc63/bin/postgres

The symlink following code is necessary to support relocatable
installations, and we aren't going to change it.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq