Alvaro Herrera wrote:

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 01:54:48PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

It is not pilot error if PostgreSQL allows it. There is
nothing "illegal" about the above commands in their execution.
The pg_dump application should recognize that the object has
changed and react accordingly.

ISTM this is a bug, but it's not clear to me what is the solution. I can think of two:

1. Changing the default is forbidden
2. When the default is changed, the dependency on the sequence is
dropped, and the sequence itself is dropped.

3. When the default is changed, the dependency is updated
to reflect the new sequence. The old sequence is left intact
as an independent object.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Which one do you think is best?  Why?  (I'd say "less bad" instead of
"best", but I'm not sure if that's a correct choice of words.)

+1-503-667-4564 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua Drake
n:Drake;Joshua
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215 ;Cascade Locks;OR;97014;US
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334