I found the reference I had seen. The engine was the Multicache Simulation Environment written in C++. I can't find the code to it anymore but I've contacted the author for a copy.

Jonah H. Harris wrote:

I'll dive into my bookmarks and see if I can find it.

Tom Lane wrote:

"Jonah H. Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I'm familiar with the 2Q algorithm. I also remember seeing, I believe, a public domain 2Q implementation floating around somewhere.

No doubt, but I think the more conservative way to get there is to
proceed by trimming down the working code we already have.  Adapting
someone else's code to fit into our backend infrastructure would involve
a fair amount of modifications (memory management and error handling at
the very least) with consequent risks of introducing bugs.

Still, it wouldn't be bad to have someone else's implementation at hand
as a comparison point.  Do you have a link handy?

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend