On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

Josh Berkus originally wrote:
Hey, for my information (people ask me this a lot) can one of you do a count
of patch submitters for 8.0?  For 7.4, it was around 180.

Perhaps this is the gist of the problem: the 180 count was not "patch submitters" but "people who helped develop 7.4" whether or not they actually submitted a bona fide patch. If it was just patches, the number would probably be about 50 or so, I would estimate. It's certainly a fuzzy line, but I'd argue that somebody who points out a memory leak that is subsequently patched by Tom should get credit as a "developer", even if no actual patch was submitted.

The thing is, once we get to *this* point, then we really need to just count all ppl that posted to -hackers during that time period, as that would include feedback on proposed changes, bug reports, etc ... since, by your definition above, they all became 'developers' as well ...

Not saying that this isn't the right approach, just pointing out that 'feedback' on a proposed change isn't much differen then pointing out problems with a current implementation ...

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664