Russell Smith wrote:

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 04:10 am, Tom Lane wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

In fact, I think it is so bad, that I think we need to back-port a fix to
previous versions and issue a notice of some kind.

They already do issue notices --- see VACUUM.

A real fix (eg the forcible stop we were talking about earlier) will not
be reasonable to back-port.

Not to be rude, but if backporting is not an option, why do we not just
focus on the job of getting autovacuum into 8.1, and not have to think
about how a patch that will warn users will work?

What if autovacuum is turned off for some reason? Or fails? A more graceful failure along the lines suggested would be a good thing, ISTM.

I agree with Tom about not backpatching, though. The situation seems analogous with a car owner who neglects the clear instructions in the manual to perform regular oil changes and then finds to his great surprise that the car stops running. It's hardly the manufacturer's fault.

cheers

andrew

     joining column's datatypes do not match