Tom Lane wrote:

Well, that probably knocks out my thought that we could stop reserving
the system column names (at least ctid and xmin, which are the two that
actually seem useful to ordinary clients, need to stay reserved).  But
it still seems like we don't have to represent these columns explicitly
in pg_attribute.

Hm, technically you might be right. Still, I like pgAdmin3 to show that columns (when "show system objects" is enabled) for teaching purposes, so users/newbies browsing the objects will learn "hey, there are some reserved columns, they could have some meaning". I'd be not too excited about emulating system column pg_attribute entries...

Regards, Andreas