Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

On Friday 04 March 2005 10:11, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Now that we've been running for a while there are a few buildfarm issues
that I need to address.

First, do we keep the right data about the members? Essentially, we
keep: <operating_system, os_version, compiler, compiler_version,
architecture>. For Linux, we genarlly ask for the
Distribution/distro-version instead of the OS/os-version. However, that
lead to interesting situations - Gentoo for example is so "flexible"
that in version 2004.03 you might easily be using kernel version 2.4.x
or 2.6.x ... in fact it's almost impossible to tell what might be
installed on a Gentoo system, or how it was compiled. So I'm really not
sure how we should treat such systems.

Second is the fact that systems change over time. People upgrade their
machines. I'm considering a facility to allow people to change the
<os-version,compiler-version> aspects of their registered personality -
these will become essentially timestamped pieces of information, so
we'll still be able to tie a set of values to a history item.

What about using uname(1), cc -v, etc to glean this information and post it with each event logged? I belive you have all this stuff already in the config.log that is used already ?

See previous para - on Linux we want the distro name and version, not "Linux" plus kernel version. uname doesn't seem to help much there. Also, I have no idea how portable cc -v is. Can we guarantee to have the compiler version properly identified on every platform?

cheers

andrew

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq