Right, once autovacuum is integrated, then I think vacuum and analyze should update the autovacuum table this way autovacuum won't redundantly vacuum tables that were just vacuumed manually.

Jim Buttafuoco wrote:

But what happens if I go in and manually vacuum a table (either because I just deleted a bunch of records or whatever).
This is why I think the backend should record the date in pg_class.

---------- Original Message ----------- From: "Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org Sent: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:56:04 -0500 Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Recording vacuum/analyze/dump times

Jim Buttafuoco wrote:

Its there a reason postgresql doesn't record vacuum/analyze and dump times in
pg_class (or another table).  This seems
like it would be a very helpful feature.

for pg_dump I would add an option --record=YES|NO for vacuum and analyze I would add a NORECORD|RECORD option

For what it's worth, integrated pg_autovacuum will have something like this. At least my initial design does, since the autovacuum daemon needs to know remember when the last time a table was vacuumed.

------- End of Original Message -------