Even with Magnus' explanation that we're talking Hardware, and not OS risk issues, I still think that the default should be the "least risky", with the other options being well explained from both a risk/performance standpoint, so that its a conscious decision on the admin's side ...

Any 'risk of data loss' has always been taboo, making the default behaviour be to increase that risk seems to be a step backwards to me .. having the option, fine ... effectively forcing that option is what I'm against (and, by forcing, I mean how many ppl "change from the default"?)

But doesn't making it the default just make it identical to the default freebsd configuration? ie. Identical risk?

Chris

http://archives.postgresql.org