Neil Conway wrote:
AndrewSN pointed out on IRC that ALTER TABLE ... ADD FOREIGN KEY and CREATE TRIGGER both acquire AccessExclusiveLocks on the table they are adding triggers to (the PK table, in the case of ALTER TABLE). Is this necessary? I don't see why we can't allow SELECT queries on the table to proceed while the trigger is being added.

Sorry, I forgot to mention: I think RowExclusiveLock or ExclusiveLock would be sufficient instead.

-Neil