Tom Lane wrote:
Specifically, I'm imagining that we could convert

        SELECT min(x), max(y) FROM tab WHERE ...

into sub-selects in a one-row outer query:

        SELECT (SELECT x FROM tab WHERE ... ORDER BY x LIMIT 1),
               (SELECT y FROM tab WHERE ... ORDER BY y DESC LIMIT 1);

Does this transformation work for a query of the form:

    SELECT min(x), max(y) FROM tab WHERE random() > 0.5;

(which isn't a very useful query, but I'm sure you can imagine a more realistic example involving volatile functions in the WHERE clause.)

-Neil