On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:09:43 -0400,
 Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
In the last exciting episode, pgman@candle.pha.pa.us (Bruce Momjian) wrote:
o integrated auto-vacuum (Bruce)

If this can kick off a vacuum of a Very Large Table at an unfortunate
time, this can turn out to be a prety painful misfeature.

[ shrug... ] You'll always be able to turn it off if you don't want it. I'm not sure that we'll be ready to turn it on by default even in 8.1.

Agreed. It will just be there to turn on from postgresql.conf if you want it, and we do have TODO information about keeping such an FSM for recently expired pages.

I think if we aren't finding problems in testing that it would be better to turn pg_autovacuum on by default. Vacuum is something the burns new users and having it one by default is going to cut down on surprises.

Except for the surprise of peridically having the system go unresponsive because it hit a large table, and that new user wondering what is wrong with postgresql that it just stalls seemingly randomly :(

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664