Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:

I want them all in the same CVS basically to avoid any version skew
issues. They should always have the same branches and the same tags
as the core, for instance; and it seems hard to keep separate
repositories in sync that closely.

Can you have the same tags across different modules in the same CVS server? If so, that would work.

I'm not sure you can tag more than one module at a time. But why would a different module be needed? We split the current single module into different tarballs, don't we?

But packaging them as separately buildable tarballs that depend only
on the installed core fileset (headers + pgxs) seems a fine idea.

If, as it currently appears, we'll end up moving in all of plphp, pljava, plr, then we might as well be consistent and offer all procedural languages, with the possible exception of plpgsql, exclusively as a separate tarball, to be released exactly when a server release is done.

One per language, or just an "extra language" pack?

Of course, there are a bunch of build infrastructure issues to be worked out, but let's settle on the tree structure first and then think about the build issues. (But don't just move stuff and *then* think about the build issues.)

I agree.

I hope we can also still configure/build/test as now - if not you will make my life harder, and it will take lots longer to implement my plan to test PLs in buildfarm.

cheers

andrew

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq