Bruce Momjian wrote:
Josh Berkus wrote:

I think that private variables and private functions need to be part of the definition.

OK, so it seems we need:

        C static/private functions for schemas
        C static/private variables for schemas

Are private variables implemented via the temporary per-session schema?

        nested schemas

What does the standard say?

The standard says that rather then using nested schemas or packages in conjunction with functions in order to group functions with data, use user defined types with attributes and methods. Methods can be STATIC, INSTANCE or CONSTRUCTOR.

AFAICS there's nothing in the standard that alters the visibility of methods and attributes, so "private" is not covered (and don't recall that Oracle has that kind of visibility control either). Normal access restrictions apply of course.

I can't find any mention of schema variables. I think all life-cycle management of data is reduced to table storage. And why not? A temporary table can be viewed as session data right?

Using a KISS approach, the easiest thing to do that also would bring us closer to the standard, is to extend the notion of user defined types to include methods and conclude that storing session data in other ways than using temporary tables should be PL specific.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren