Tom Lane wrote:
We did do that (not very rigorously) during the 7.4 release cycle.
I'm not sure why we fell out of the habit again for 8.0.  It seems
like a reasonable idea to me.

In the past I have suggested incrementally maintaining release.sgml (or some plaintext version of it), rather than having Bruce generate the release notes from a single sweep through the CVS logs prior to a release. The current process can easily lose information: Bruce needs to make a snap decision about which changes are relevant, and it's not always easy to make that decision correctly. It also means the person who implemented a feature (and therefore knows the problem well) is not writing the release notes for it. And it means the release notes are always at least a little bit behind the times.

IIRC, the previous discussion petered out when Bruce said he prefers the current process.

-Neil

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster