Now, the problem with 8.0.2/8.0.3 is that we forgot to bump the soname before shipping 8.0, so we shipped a bogus libpq.so.3 which is really libpq.so.4, with a wrong soname. How to fix? Maybe we should provide a libpq3 package with the libraries coming from the REL_7_4_STABLE cvs branch.

I was just thinking about this today. Typically Redhat will have a
postgresql-libs-compat which would contain libpq.so.3. They haven't had to do this in the past with PostgreSQL but they do it with others such as glibc.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake