I have a similar problem and already considered using RULEs, but I encountered the problem, that I did not find any way to execute procedures from RULEs without using SELECT, which creates always a result set being passed to the application invoking the INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE, even if the function is declared VOID. This is causing trouble when using asynchronous command processing.

The solution then is for us to get around to implementing procedures, rather than functions, in PostgreSQL I think.

Chris

     joining column's datatypes do not match