What I'm wondering is whether this is really worth doing or not.
There are currently just two parts of the lexer rules that are affected
--- the {real} rule illustrated above, and the rules that allow quoted
strings to be split across lines as the SQL spec requires.  But the
patches are still pretty ugly, and what's really annoying is that there
doesn't seem to be any way to get flex to complain if someone later
makes a change that breaks the no-backup-cases property again.

I was just thinking that if there's not a switch, it's prone to error again.

However, the lexer isn't touched anywhere near as much as the grammar is right? So just put a large comment/warning/reminder at the top to test for non-backup states.

I'm definitely in favour of a 1/3 speedup of the lexer.

Chris

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend