Plan B is for WAL replay to always be willing to extend the file to
whatever record number is mentioned in the log, even though this
may require inventing the contents of empty pages; we trust that their
contents won't matter because they'll be truncated again later in the
replay sequence.  This seems pretty messy though, especially for
indexes.  The major objection to it is that it gives up error detection
in real filesystem-corruption cases: we'll just silently build an
invalid index and then try to run with it.  (Still, that might be better
than refusing to start; at least you can REINDEX afterwards.)

You could at least log some sort of warning during the PITR process. Anyone running a PITR not paying attention to their logs is in trouble anyway...

Chris

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster